George Soros gave Ivanka's husband's business a $250 million credit line in 2015 per WSJ. Soros is also an investor in Jared's business.

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Pterosaur author says 'there's no crying in baseball and there's no 'trust' in science,' 'everything in science is measurable and repeatable,' no exceptions-Pterosaur Heresies

7/28/13, "There’s no crying in Baseball” and there’s no “Trust” in Science.," Pterosaur Heresies

"A recent letter to PterosaurHeresies mentioned that the writer and, according to him, most of the paleontology community, couldn’t “trust” my drawings and interpretations.
 
I told him that’s how it should be. This is Science.

There is no “trust” in Science.

He and others have the opportunity to and should (if they have the opportunity to) duplicate the observations or tests and see if those interpretations and results differ or are the same as published.

After all, that’s what I do everyday. I find out what I can trust, because I’ve duplicated it –and what I can’t trust, because I can’t duplicate it.

In Science there is only testing.

Everything in Science is measurable and repeatable. If it works for me, it should work for you and vice versa. There are no special circumstances. The supernatural does not enter in. If you don’t get my results, one of us (not always me) has done something wrong. Maybe the taxon inclusion list was not broad enough? Maybe a suture and a crack were misidentified.

The writer and others like him don’t like it when I test their suppositions and traditions and they tell me so. That’s good because they might be right every so often or even more often than not. And I need to know these things to improve the site.

Or vice versa they might learn something they didn’t know before. They might see new possibilities that bust old paradigms.

The whole point of a flexible medium, like the Internet, is to get it right, provide  updates and always be on the cutting edge. That’s why I make changes as new valid data comes in.
 
However, if you’re going to bitch, at least have the decency of providing valid data and results that make sense and back up your statements. Discussing technique, past history or any other issues involving the author deftly avoids the real issue: the taxon in question. If you keep your focus on the reptile(s) you’ll have a better reception for your query or comment and you might even get your wish, a change in the website!

I appreciate those who provide valid alternatives as solutions, but, paraphrasing Jimmy Foxx, There’s no crying in Science either. If you know solutions, you need to provide them. If you know someone who has a solution that differs from mine, have that person get in touch to run that solution by. If you just want to cry about it, you’re not helping your cause, your Science or this blog.

And please, no excuses that, ”it would take eons to go through all, of my mistakes.” Pick one or two and we’ll start from there. Build credibility. Stay with the taxa. Keep your comments focused on the reptiles. Stop bitching about the technique or yours truly. In the end, we’re going to end up swapping photographs as evidence anyway, so telling me photographs are useless is likewise illogical. The Brits defeated the Nazis using photographic interpretation, as shown recently on a PBS special. So it’s a valid tool.

Now let’s go people. Keep those cards and letters coming in!
(but only with solutions attached)…" image above from "A League of their own," 1992 movie, via PterosaurusHeresies





.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I'm the daughter of a World War II Air Force pilot and outdoorsman who settled in New Jersey.